Why Join Rotary? Here are at least *20 reasons+* to join Rotary. But I will share one every day.
1. *Friendship*: In an increasingly complex world, Rotary provides one of the most basic human needs: the need for friendship and fellowship. It is one of two reasons why Rotary began in 1905.
2. *Business Development*: The second original reason for Rotary’s beginning is business development. Everyone needs to network. Rotary consists of a cross section of every business community. Its members come from all walks of life. Rotarians help each other and collectively help others. A Rotarian can join, Rotary International approved fastest growing fellowship, called Rotary Means Business, which can help both businessmen and Professionals to grow their business and profession and reduce input costs , interact with like minded Rotarians from all over the world, with many other added benefits.
3. Personal Growth and Development: Membership in Rotary continues one’s growth and education in human relations and personal development.
4. Leadership Development: Rotary is an organization of leaders and successful people. Serving in Rotary positions is like a college education. Leadership: – learning how to motivate, influence, and lead leaders.
5. Citizenship in the Community: Membership in a Rotary club makes one a better community citizen. The average Rotary club consists of the most active citizens of any community.
6. Continuing Education: At Rotary there are programs designed to keep one informed about what is going on in the community, nation, and world. Each meeting provides an opportunity to listen to different speakers and a variety of timely topics.
7. Fun Unlimited: Rotary is fun, a lot of fun. Each meeting is fun. The club projects are fun. Social activities are fun. The service is fun.
8. Public Speaking Skills: Many individuals who joined Rotary were afraid to speak in public. Rotary develops confidence and skill in public communication and the opportunity to practice and perfect these skills.
9. Citizenship in the World: Every Rotarian wears a pin that says “Rotary International.” There are few places on the globe that do not have a Rotary club. Every Rotarian is welcome – even encouraged – to attend any of the 35,000+ clubs in 200 nations and geographical regions. This means instant friends in both one’s own community and in the world community.
10. Assistance when Traveling: Because there are Rotary clubs everywhere, many a Rotarian in need of a doctor, lawyer, hotel, dentist, advice, etc., while traveling have found assistance through Rotary.
11. Entertainment: Every Rotary club and district has parties and activities that provide diversion in one’s business & professional life. Rotary holds conferences, conventions, assemblies, and institutes that provide entertainment in addition to Rotary information, education, and service.
12. The Development of Social Skills: Every week and at various events and functions, Rotary develops one’s personality, social skills and people skills. Rotary is for people who like people.
13. Family Programs: Rotary provides *one of the world’s largest youth exchange programs*; high school and college clubs for future Rotarians; opportunities for spouse involvement; and a host of activities designed to help family members in growth and the development of family values. Youth Exchange Programs with our young ones staying in another country are life altering programs which make our youth Truly Global Citizens. And Rotary Friendship Exchange Programs help us to be part of another countries culture with heart warming hospitalities of our own Rotarians from other parts of the world. Similar other exchange programs help budding & senior professionals exchange & acquire professional knowledge with other like minded Rotarians from each other’s respective countries.
14. Vocational Skills: Every Rotarian is expected to take part in the growth and development of his or her own profession or vocation; to serve on committees and to teach youth about one’s job or vocation. Rotary helps to make one a better doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.
15. The Development of Ethics: Rotarians practice a 4-Way Test that governs one’s ethical standards. Rotarians are expected to be ethical in business and personal relationships. We Rotarians are expected to follow the four way test as below:
The Four Way Test of things that we think, say or do….
1. Is the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build Goodwill & better Friendship?
4. Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
16. Cultural Awareness: Around the world, practically every religion, country, culture, race, creed, political persuasion, language, color, and ethnic identity is found in Rotary. It is a cross section of the world’s most prominent citizens from every background. Rotarians become aware of their cultures and learn to love and work with people everywhere. They become better citizens of their countries in the process.
17. Prestige: Rotary members are prominent people: leaders of business, the professions, art, government, sports, military, religion, and all disciplines. Rotary is the oldest and most prestigious service club in the world. Its ranks include executives, managers, professionals – people who make decisions and influence policy.
18. Nice People: Rotarians above all are nice people – the nicest people on the face of the earth. They are important people who follow the policy of it is nice to be important but it is important to be nice.
19. The Opportunity to Serve: And most importantly. Rotary is a service club. Its business is mankind. Its product is service. Rotarians provide community service to both local and international communities. This is perhaps the best reason for becoming a Rotarian: the chance to do something for somebody else and to sense the self-fulfillment that comes in the process and return of that satisfaction to one’s own life. It is richly rewarding.
20. The Absence of an “Official Creed”: Rotary has no secret handshake, no secret policy, no official creed, no secret meeting or rituals. It is an open society of men and women who simply believe in helping others.
21. Rotarians are People of Action: Rotary is where neibours, friends and problem solvers share ideas , join leaders and take action to create lasting change.
22. Rotary Promotes Peace: Every Year Rotary awards up to 130 fully funded fellowships for dedicated leaders from around the world to study at one of the Rotary’s Peace Centers in the world.
“He profits most who serves best.”